Mid-Year Performance Review
MID-YEAR PERFORMANCE REVIEW
A new year is perceived as a period of a new beginning for all individuals as it is generally perceived as a period for a new turn of events. At the beginning of a year, hopes are usually high, new decisions known as new year resolutions are developed and most individuals are excited that there would be a new turn of events. However, as soon as the year begins, circumstances begin to deny the hopes previously raised regarding how fantastic the year would be.
The new year in most cases is often more demanding, tiring and cumbersome than the previous one thereby creating less enthusiasm to achieve set goals. The energy for goal achievement reduces drastically towards the end of the first quarter of the year and by the end of the first six months, most goals must have been abandoned. The mid-year performance review assists to re-analyze goals, re-focus targets, and re-strategize.
MEASURES TO EVALUATE MID-YEAR PERFORMANCE
RE-VISIT YOUR NEW YEAR'S GOALS
It is essential to check for the following while revisiting goals:
- The motivating factor for setting the goal.
- Applicability of the goal to prevailing circumstances.
- Availability of resources for the achievement of the goal.
CREATE A SCORE-SHEET
Identify the goals set at the beginning of the year and give a score on a scale of 1-10 on the accomplishment of goals already achieved. Also, as regards goals not yet completed, score all the tries. Evaluate the efforts.
GOAL ACHIEVEMENT SCORE SHEET
Goals not yet achieved should be revamped. Revamping goals reduces the feelings of non-satisfaction that accompany the non-achievement of goals. It also renews the enthusiasm to project effort into achieving the set goals. Most goals not revamped may become obsolete or redundant. The following are tips on how to revamp your goals;
- Rename the goal: E.g., “Weight Loss” may be tagged “Healthy Living”. Healthy living is a positive construct. Give the goal a name that would naturally create positive energy.
- Create a reward for worthwhile efforts: Efforts should be rewarded even when it has not yielded the expected result. E.g.
FIX THE ERRORS
Revamping ensures that most loopholes in goal setting are fixed. Loopholes may be a result of issues such as inadequate research as regards the requirements for goal achievement, low level of motivation, misplaced priorities etc.
BENEFITS OF MID-YEAR PERFORMANCE EVALUATION
- Achievement of set goals at the end of the year.
- An increased sense of self-efficacy.
- An improved mental health status.
- Increased ability to send and attain higher goals.
- A feeling of self-actualization.
Powered by Froala Editor